EagleCountryOnline.com

Accused Shooter’s Bond Set At $1M

Posted On June 12, 2012
Hoffman

William C. Hoffman, Jr.

Dearborn County Law Enforcement Center

(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) – The man who was shot by police in a firefight last week is being held on a $1 million bond.

 

William Hoffman, Jr. was in Dearborn Circuit Court for his initial hearing Tuesday afternoon.

 

Hoffman faces Attempted Murder and five other felony charges including Attempted Aggravated Battery, Attempted Battery with a Deadly Weapon, Intimidation with a Deadly Weapon, and Pointing a Firearm. He pleaded not guilty.

 

If convicted on all counts, Hoffman would face up to 92 years in prison.

 

Throughout the hearing, Hoffman appeared fidgety. At one point, he asked Judge James D. Humphrey to speak up.

 

Later as Humphrey read Hoffman his rights, he began to chuckle.

 

“Is there something funny about your rights?” Humphrey scolded.

 

“No. I was just thinking,” Hoffman answered.

 

If he does make bail, Hoffman is to have no contact with the five officers involved in the shootout last week.

 

Family members sat in the courtroom gallery in support of Hoffman. One woman told the judge that attorney Jay Hoffman is going to represent him. Although they share last names, the woman said outside the courtroom that the attorney and the suspect are not relatives.

 

Hoffman remains held at the Dearborn County Law Enforcement Center. His next court appearance, a pretrial omnibus hearing, is scheduled for July 27 at 8:30 a.m.

 

LINKS:

 

Attempted Murder Charge In Shooting

 

Stand-off In Lawrenceburg Comes To An End