BMV Hours Change Due To Election Day; Voter IDs Issued
Press release from Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles
(Indianapolis, Ind.) – Kent Abernathy, Commissioner of the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV), announced today that BMV license branches located in counties that have November 2015 municipal elections will extend hours of operation on Monday, Nov. 2 and on Tuesday, Nov. 3 to issue ID cards and driver’s licenses that may be used for identification at a polling place. Branches in counties that have November 2015 elections will be open on Monday, Nov. 2, from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Tuesday, Nov. 3, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
These license branches will only process new, amended or replacement ID cards, and renewed, amended or replacement driver’s licenses and learner permits. New driver’s licenses and learner permits will be processed provided the customer has previously completed all required testing.
The Indiana BMV provides free, state-issued ID cards for voting purposes to any unlicensed Hoosier that is a U.S. citizen as long as he or she can provide proper documentation and will be at least 18 years of age on or before the next General or Municipal Election. The following documents are required to obtain a new state ID card or driver’s license (a complete list can be found at myBMV.com):
- Proof of Identity document, such as a birth certificate or passport
- Proof of Social Security document, such as a Social Security card, pay stub that contains the full SSN or W-2
- Proof of lawful status, such as a birth certificate or passport
- Proof of residency, two documents such as a voter registration card, utility bill or bank statement
There are four Indiana counties that do not have elections on Tuesday, Nov. 3: Benton, Brown, Newton and Warren. Therefore, license branches located in these counties will not operate for extended hours and will be closed on Tuesday, Nov. 3 in observance of the state Election Day holiday. All license branches will resume regular business hours on Wednesday, Nov. 4.
Midterm Primary 2014
- Monday, May 5, 2014: 1,481 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, May 6, 2014: 3,878 Credential Transactions
Midterm General 2014
- Monday, Nov. 3, 2014: 2,044 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014: 4,511 Credential Transactions
Municipal Primary 2015
- Monday, May 4, 2015: 2,594 Credential Transactions
- Tuesday, May 5, 2015: 6,460 Credential Transactions