EagleCountryOnline.com

UPDATE: Faulty Tablet That Sparked Apartment Fire Wasn’t A Samsung

Posted On January 19, 2017

By Mike Perleberg and Travis Thayer

fire-vevay-tablet-12272016

Photo by Jeff-Craig Fire Department.

Update published Thursday, January 19 at 9:49 a.m.:

A spokesperson for Samsung says that the device that sparked an apartment fire in Vevay last month was not one of their products.

A family in an apartment on Swiss Avenue was displaced on December 27 when a tablet overheated and caused a small fire in the apartment. The Jeff-Crag Fire Department indicated that the device, which they believed was a Samsung tablet, had a ruptured battery.

The fire made a new news headlines, prompting an investigation by Samsung. A company spokesperson said Wednesday that the company determined that the tablet was not a Samsung device.

Samsung says customer safety remains its highest priority and urges any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product to immediately contact the company at 1-800-SAMSUNG.

 

Update published Tuesday, December 27 at 3:50 p.m.: 

After a brief investigation, the Jeff-Craig Fire Department has determined that a faulty tablet was indeed the cause of an apartment fire in Vevay.

According to Fire Chief Christopher S. See, firefighters were dispatched to an apartment complex on Swiss Avenue around 5:40 a.m. Tuesday morning.

All occupants of the apartment were outside when crews extinguished a small fire in the corner of the living room.

Chief See said the electronic device appeared to have somehow overheated, swelled and ruptured near the battery compartment.

No injuries were reported.

 

Original story published Tuesday, December 27 at 10:35 a.m.: 

(Vevay, Ind.) – A faulty tablet battery may have started a fire in a Vevay apartment Tuesday morning.

Jeff-Craig Fire Department posted photos of the fire and its possible source on the fire department’s Facebook page.

“Cause of the fire appeared to be a Samsung Tablet. The battery compartment showed evidence of a rupture. Check your electronics for possible recalls due to fire hazard,” the post read.

The damage done in the apartment was minimal and nobody was injured.

The local Red Cross is assisting the family of five that lives in the apartment.