Free Tax Assistance Helps Residents Claim Earned Income Credit
Press release from United Way of Greater Cincinnati
(Cincinnati, Oh.) – Millions of workers overlook important federal tax benefits because they simply don’t know about them. The IRS estimates that one in five eligible workers does not claim the Earned Income Tax Credit, missing out on thousands of dollars they’ve earned. To claim these benefits, these individuals must file their taxes.
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit available to qualifying low and moderate wage workers and their families. The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is available to workers with children under age 17. United Way of Greater Cincinnati and its partners are providing free tax preparation services online and at over 30 locations in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana. Individuals can get free help determining their EITC and CTC eligibility and claiming the credits.
- Filers with internet access and an income of $62,000 or less can take advantage of free online filing at myfreetaxes.com. Sponsored by United Way, MyFreeTaxes uses H&R Block software. It’s fast, confidential, easy, and safe. Specially trained United Way 211 operators are on hand to answer questions by phone or via chat within the myfreetaxes software.
- Families and individuals earning $54,000 or less can take advantage of local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites supported by United Way of Greater Cincinnati and community volunteers. All locations use electronic filing to ensure quick filing and rapid refun Small businesses, complex investments and bankruptcy are out of scope for the program. Tax filers should bring income documents from all jobs worked throughout the year as well as health insurance information, last year’s tax information, social security cards, and a valid photo ID.
- Harrison Community Center, 300 George St., Harrison, OH, through Apr 15, 2016. Closed, March 4, 7, 11, and 25. By appointment: 513-367-6683, Mon & Fri: 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Can do prior year returns.
- Clearinghouse, 411 George Street, Aurora, February 27 and March 12 ONLY, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- A list of all regional locations, dates, hours of operation, and what to bring to the tax site can be found at www.makeworkpay.com.
For more information about free tax preparation services, visit www.makeworkpay.com or call United Way 211 (dial 2-1-1).