EagleCountryOnline.com

Frozen Pipe Thawing Mistake Destroys Mobile Home

Posted On January 03, 2018

By Mike Perleberg

Photo courtesy Summer Colwell Fay.

(Harrison, Oh.) – A botched effort to thaw some frozen water pipes led to a mobile home fire in Harrison overnight.

Harrison firefighters were called to the blaze on Derby Boulevard in Rolling Acres Mobile Home Park around 10:00 p.m. Tuesday. They were soon joined by fire departments from Crosby Township, Whitewater Township, Green Township, and Bright.

Firefighters say the homeowner was attempting to use a torpedo heater to thaw the pipes in his home when the insulation on the pipes caught fire.

As the home burned, oxygen tanks inside exploded, preventing firefighters from getting too close.

The resident managed to escape the fire unharmed, however, he was transported to Mercy West Hospital as a precaution.