Gov. Signs Nugent’s Police, Fire Equipment Bill

Posted On March 01, 2012

State Sen. Johnny Nugent

Update posted Thrusday, March 1:


(Indianapolis, Ind.) – A bill authored by State Senator Johnny Nugent of Lawrenceburg has been signed into Indiana law.


The governor signed House Enrolled Act 1052 on Wednesday. The law allows Indiana Department of Administration to buy emergency services equipment in bulk, and then sell it to local fire, police, and EMS departments.


Nugent says the move will help lower the price of those supplies.




Original story posted Thursday, February 22:


Press release from State Senator Johnny Nugent


(Indianapolis, Ind.) – Legislation sponsored by State Sen. Johnny Nugent (R-Lawrenceburg) to help ensure local emergency crews have access to the equipment needed for saving lives and responding to crises passed the full Senate today by a 50-0 vote.


If signed into law, House Bill 1052 would require the Indiana Department of Administration (IDOA) to award quantity purchase agreements (QPA) to vendors when buying emergency services equipment and then offer that equipment to local purchasers — fire departments, fire protection districts, law enforcement and emergency medical services agencies. Nugent said QPAs allow the state to achieve bulk pricing, effectively lowering prices for the needed tools.


“Many times, larger fire and police departments have more financial stability and better access to the needed equipment than the smaller or volunteer ones in rural communities do,” Nugent said. “My legislation is simple — it aims to allow these smaller groups to buy tools and equipment they need at a price they can afford. This could potentially help save lives.”


Groups supporting the legislation include the Professional Firefighters’ Union of Indiana, the American Heart Association, the Indiana Fire Chiefs Association and IDOA.


HB 1052 now returns to the House of Representatives for further legislative consideration. An up-to-date copy can be found on the 2012 Indiana General Assembly’s website: http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2012&request=getBill&docno=1052