Holton Tornado Donation Surge Continues

Posted On March 06, 2012

Neighbors help a Holton tornado victim cover his home after the roof was removed by the tornado Friday.

Mike Perleberg-Eagle 99.3

(Holton, Ind.) – Donations are pouring in to help victims of Friday’s tornado in Holton.


The Ripley County Food Pantry says it is now fully stocked and is asking tornado victims to begin picking up the food, toiletries, and cleaning supplies being handed out.


Donations can be picked up or dropped of at the Ripley County Food Pantry located at the county fairgrounds in Osgood between noon and 6:00 p.m. Suggested items include cleaning supplies, personal hygiene products, wash cloths, towels, diapers, wipes, water, and plastic totes.


Businesses are also doing their part. All branches of United Community Bank are accepting diapers, wipes, toiletries, Wal-Mart and Kroger/JC gift cards.


The Versailles branch of the Friendship State Bank is also welcoming donations.


The Osgood Knights of Columbus is asking for cleaning supplies, baby supplies, flashlights, and tarps to go to the victims. The K of C is located at 331 S. Buckeye Street, Osgood.


The Ripley County Community Foundation Board of Directors has authorized a challenge grant of $10,000 for the rebuilding of Holton. The foundation will match dollar for dollar up to $10,000 of donations to the foundation. All donations will be paid to the township trustee in Holton and all donations will be tax deductible.  


Donations can be made out to the Ripley County Community Foundation with a notation in the memo that it is for the Holton grant.  The donations can be mailed to 4 South Park Avenue, Batesville, Indiana 47006. Contact Sally Morris, 933-1098, with any questions.


People who are volunteering to help with the cleanup in and around Holton are reminded to check in first at the Holton Fire Department, 38 South Marion Street. Safety gear should be worn. Volunteers are asked to be careful. 


While some of the homes that were destroyed were covered by insurance, many of the homes were rentals and the occupants did not have insurance.


To help the people who lost their homes, the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority is asking owners of unoccupied housing located in storm-affected and adjacent counties to register properties available for rent.


Properties can be registered by going to www.IndianaHousingNow.org. The website provides a centralized listing of available apartments or houses for rent.