INDOT Cracking Down On Improper Roadside Campaign Signs
Press release from Indiana Department of Transportation
(Seymour, Ind.) – It’s against the law. And it’s a cause for numerous complaints from residents and passers-by in southeast Indiana.
Political campaign signage is prohibited from federal and state highway rights-of-way according to Indiana Code 9-21-4-6.
INDOT personnel are charged by law with removing all unauthorized signs within the state right-of-way. That should be good news for callers to the Seymour District Customer Service Desk who have recently complained about an increase in political signs along state highways as May 6th’s primary election day approaches.
Removal of campaign signs and other illegal postings from rights-of-way is being done by INDOT subdistrict crews while pursuing normal maintenance activities. Individual signs causing immediate safety risks (too close to the roadway or creating a sight obstruction) are specifically targeted.
The right-of-way areas which must remain “sign-free” include:
- All interstates and their interchanges; and
- All intersections where at least one local, state or federal road intersects with a state or federal highway; and
- All rights-of-way paralleling federal or state highways;
- Where right-of-way is not clearly marked, it may be estimated as the back of the ditch, to the fence line or up to utility poles.
Removed signs are taken to the nearest INDOT subdistrict office where they can be re-claimed by their owners between 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- Aurora Subdistrict—8074 U.S. 50 at Aurora, Ind., 812-926-0376
- Bloomington Subdistrict—2965 Prow Road at Bloomington, Ind., 812-332-1411
- Columbus Subdistrict—3545 Two Mile Road at Columbus, Ind., 812-372-7837
- Falls City Subdistrict—5701 U.S. Highway 31 at Clarksville, Ind., 812-282-7493
- Madison Subdistrict—1875 W. JPG Woodfill Road at Madison, Ind., 812-574-4368
The INDOT Seymour District Customer Service Desk can be called at 877-305-7611, or emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org.