Jury Convicts Cincy Man In Convenience Store Robbery, Shooting
By Mike Perleberg
(Lawrenceburg, Ind.) – A Dearborn County jury has convicted a man suspected in a robbery and shooting in Lawrenceburg.
Gerald A. Kemper, 38, of Cincinnati, has been found guilty on all five charges he faced including Robbery Resulting in Bodily Injury, Conspiracy to Commit Robbery, Aggravated Battery, and Possession of a Firearm by a Serious Violent Felon. All charges are class B felonies punishable by six to 20 years in prison.
During an attempted holdup at the Fast Track BP on Arch Street in the early morning hours of June 18, 2012, Kemper allegedly shot the clerk in the leg. Detectives said he fled the scene in a vehicle driven by Malik Abdullah, also of Cincinnati.
The store clerk did survive the attack. He testified during the trial.
Kemper’s conviction came at the end of a more than a more than week-long jury trial which commenced Wednesday in Dearborn Circuit Court.
“Gerald Kemper is a dangerous felon, who thanks to the hard work of the Lawrenceburg Police Department, Detective Donnie Combs, other officers, and deputy prosecutors Joe Kaiser and Jeff Sharp, will hopefully receive a very lengthy sentence,” said Dearborn-Ohio County Prosecutor Aaron Negangard.
Sentencing has been scheduled for Wednesday, July 2 before Judge James D. Humphrey. Negangard said he will argue that three of the four convictions should be served consecutively, meaning a maximum sentence of 60 years could await Kemper.
Kemper has a long criminal history in Ohio including arrests for assault, drug possession, burglary, theft, and domestic violence. He had been arrested in Ohio earlier last year then brought to Dearborn County in December to face his Indiana charges.
Abdullah, 37, agreed in December to plead guilty to a charge of Conspiracy to Commit Robbery (Class C felony) as other charges were dismissed in a deal with prosecutors. He was sentenced to eight years with three years in prison and five more on probation. Abdullah was released from an Indiana prison on January 14, according to state department of corrections records.