MGP Adds New Varieties To L’burg Production
Press release from MGP Ingredients
(Atchison, Kan.) – Continuing its legacy as a leading innovator in the distilled spirits industry, MGP (Nasdaq/MGPI) has announced the development of six additional mash bills for the production of new rye, malt and wheat whiskeys, as well as new bourbons, at the company’s Lawrenceburg, Ind., facility.
The additions include the following products: two new rye whiskeys, one made from 51% rye and 49% barley malt, and the other made with 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt; a 95% wheat whiskey; a 100% barley malt whiskey; and two bourbons, one produced with 45% wheat, and the other produced with 49% barley malt. The production of each is scheduled to begin this month.
“The incorporation of these additional mash bills in our product offerings is driven by our commitment and ability to satisfy a growing and diversified mix of customer needs,” said David Dykstra, vice president of alcohol sales and marketing. “It enables us to provide those we serve with a wider, more distinctive selection of world-class beverage alcohol options. Furthermore, it reflects our ongoing focus on innovation while also demonstrating our capabilities to produce customized formulations.”
Development of the new mash bills was initiated by the company’s beverage alcohol sales team, with collaboration from MGP’s research, development and innovation group and Greg Metze, master distiller at the Lawrenceburg facility.
According to Dykstra, the company’s new wheat whiskey and wheat bourbon “will be among some of the more unique products of their type” in the marketplace. “The popularity of wheat-based spirits, mainly in the white goods category, has grown in recent years,” he said. “We expect this to favorably impact demand for products in the brown goods category, as well, and want to be firmly positioned to help our customers in the branded packaged goods arena meet that demand.”
The company’s new rye whiskey produced from 51% rye and 49% barley malt is expected to deliver a deeper flavor than traditional rye whiskey, resulting in opportunities for customers to establish and market novel brands that possess a distinctly satisfying point of difference. Additionally, the introduction of MGP’s rye whiskey produced from the formulation of 51% rye, 45% corn and 4% barley malt “will provide an excellent line addition to the company’s current rye whiskey, which is made from a mash bill containing 95% rye,” Dykstra said.
Additional details regarding each of the recently developed mash bills, along with MGP’s custom formulation capabilities and complete lines of premium whiskeys, bourbons, grain neutral spirits and distilled gins, will be available at the company’s booth at the American Distilling Institute (ADI) Spirits Conference and Expo in Denver through April 4 this week. Information can also be obtained by accessing the company’s website, mgpingredients.com, or by contacting a member of the beverage alcohol sales team at 812-532-4156.
MGP is a leading independent supplier of premium spirits, offering flavor innovations and custom distillery blends to the beverage alcohol industry. The company also produces high quality food grade industrial alcohol and formulates grain-based starches and proteins into nutritional and highly functional ingredients for the branded consumer packaged goods industry. The company is headquartered in Atchison, Kansas, where a variety of distilled alcohol products and food ingredients are manufactured. Distilled spirits are also produced at company facilities in the adjacent towns of Lawrenceburg and Greendale, Indiana. For more information, visit mgpingredients.com.