Seven Now Charged As Boone County Schools Dealing With Even More Threats
By Mike Perleberg
Boone County Sheriff Michael Helmig. File photo.
(Boone County, Ky.) – The Boone County Sheriff’s Office announced Wednesday that two more students at local schools have been charged for making threats.
Boone County Sheriff Michael Helmig said earlier this week that his office is taking a zero tolerance approach to school threats. The hard stance comes as concerns about school safety come to forefront following a Valetine’s Day shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida.
An 11-year-old student at Conner Middle School produced a note indicating “there will be a bomb at 1pm today.” The 6th grade boy claimed to have found it in the bathroom.
However, a handwriting analysis led investigators to determine that the student who turned over the letter was actually the person who wrote it. The student admitted to writing it himself. He was taken into custody by the school resource officer.
That student is now charged with Terroristic Threatening 1st degree.
The sheriff’s office says a student at Gray Middle School faces the same charge after taking pictures of two BB guns and sending out a Snapchat to friends with a message stating “All Gray kids don’t go to school tomorrow.”
These two episodes are just the latest threat incidents at schools in Boone County. Five students were charged for five separate incidents at various high and middle schools between February 12 and 19.
“It is not the policy of the Boone County Sheriff’s Office to make public every criminal incident at every school in the district however this particular incident, like the ones preceding it, has already made it through the social media rounds. We would rather allay fears or concerns by setting the record straight in the first place,” said sheriff’s office spokesman Tom Scheben.