EagleCountryOnline.com

Smoking May Have Sparked Deck Fire

Posted On July 09, 2012

(Aurora, Ind.) – Aurora firefighters responded to a report of a deck on fire Monday morning.

 

About 9:19 a.m., a resident at 8231 Fairmeadows Drive called 911 about his deck being ablaze.

 

Firefighters arriving found the small fire had already been extinguished by the homeowner. Damage was estimated at about $3,000. Nobody was hurt.

 

Fire investigators say the cause has been ruled accidental.

 

“Smoking could not be ruled out as a possible cause,” said Aurora Fire Department safety officer Kevin Turner.

 

Turner reminds residents that a burn ban remains in effect in Dearborn County because of the abnormally dry conditions.

 

“Fireworks can cause fires. Be aware of where fireworks are detonated and where debris lands. Always have a water source handy when use fireworks and immerse all used fireworks in a large bucket of water,” Turner said.

 

Additionally, ash cans and ash trays should not be left near any combustible materials including wooden decks and vegetation. Grills should not be left unattended and only covered when cool.