EagleCountryOnline.com

Stove Left On Started Mobile Home Fire

Posted On December 06, 2017

By Mike Perleberg

Osgood and Versailles fire departments dealt with a mobile home fire in Osgood on Tuesday, December 5. Photo provided.

(Osgood, Ind.) – Ripley County firefighters had to put out a fire at a mobile home Tuesday.

Osgood and Versailles fire departments responded to the fire at a mobile home park on Fairgrounds Road in Osgood at about 1:40 p.m. The manufactured home was found to be heavily involved in fire when firefighters arrived.

The property owned by Rick and Margret Johnson rented the trailer to a new tenant on December 4. Luckily, the new renter had not yet moved in.

“It was determined the property did not have working smoke detectors, but because of neighbors the fire was reported,” said Osgood Fire Chief Kyle Negangard.

The mobile home was a total loss. The fire started in the kitchen.

Negangard says the cause is believed to be accidental.

“After speaking with the renter, he stated he had been painting and cleaning the trailer before moving in. He had called Duke Energy to turn on the electric and left to go to work. The range cook top was in the ‘on’ position while the electric was off. Duke Energy arrived after he left and turned on the electric to the house trailer. Shortly after the fire was reported to 911,” said Negangard.

Negangard says the Osgood Fire Department is in need of more volunteers. Contact the chief at osgoodfire@hotmail.com or (812) 689-4142.