UPDATE: Men Rescued From Burning Building
Firefighters on the scene of a fire at the former Schenley Distillery on Brown Street in Greendale Thursday morning.
Mike Perleberg-Eagle 99.3
Update posted at 11:14 a.m.:
Three people inside a burning building in Greendale were able to get to safety through a roof and a little help from Greendale firefighters.
A fire was reported inside an old building that formerly housed the Schenley Distillery at the end of Brown Street at 8:42 a.m., said Greendale Fire Chief Shannon Craig. The building is owned by Robert Greer, who was working with two of his employees using a torch to cut through a steel beam on the second story as they are in the process of demolishing the building.
Sparks from the torch had fallen through the floor to a debris pile on the first floor, igniting the flames. The men attempted to exit the building through the first floor, but the smoke and flames in the stairwell were too intense, Craig said.
One of the co-workers jumped from the second floor. Greer and a second worker made their way onto a second floor roof where Greendale firefighters used a ladder truck to bring them to safety.
Crews remained on the scene until 10:00 a.m. The fire has been ruled accidental, said Chief Craig.
Original story posted at 9:06 a.m.:
(Greendale, Ind.) – Firefighters from Greendale, Lawrenceburg, and Aurora are on the scene of a structure fire at a warehouse in Greendale.
At about 8:45 a.m., furniture was reported to be on fire inside a multi-story building at Schenley Place.
Reports stated that people may have been trapped inside the burning building.
Listen to Eagle 99.3 for the latest on this story.