(Indianapolis, Ind.) - The state of Indiana is asking to have a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of everyone who was at the Sugarland concert at the State Fair dismissed.
The Indiana Attorney General's office says proper procedures were not followed by an Indianapolis law firm in filling the suit in Marion County Civil Superior Court.
By statute, a lawsuit cannot be filed against the State until the State has had 90 days to review and approve or deny a tort claim. If a claim is denied, then a claimant is able to file a lawsuit against the State.
Law firm Cohen and Malad filed the lawsuit last week on behalf of Angela Fischer, who was at the show but was not hurt when the stage was blown over, killing seven people.
"This is not a reflection on the plaintiff's claim, but there are deadlines and a process that must be followed under Indiana law. We can't have one claimant try to cut in line when other claimants are following the rules," Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller said.
There have been five other lawsuits filed in connection with the August 13 stage collapse.